|Oprah's Turkey Chili with a Livliga Flair on Celebrate dinnerware|
Oprah Winfrey has published a new and visually gorgeous new book Food, Health and Happiness that includes many Weight Watchers friendly recipes. I have enjoyed roaming around in this sumptuous book full of Oprah insights and recipes from her favorite chefs.
The first recipe I tried is the Turkey Chili. It is a classic chili with a lot of heat. It also requires a lot of ingredients and a number of steps to complete. I couldn't resist, I simplified the steps, lightened the heat and made the chili a little more visually attractive with simple changes.
My favorite discovery from this recipe was the addition of a smoky flavor to the chili because of the addition of charred dried chiles. It adds a wonderful flavor and dimension to the recipe. Below is my riff on Oprah's Turkey Chili.
Oprah's Turkey Chili with a Livliga Flair
2 Chile De Ristra (locally grown)
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey, 85% lean
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
1 small can green chiles
2 cups chicken broth, low salt
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, , drained and rinsed
Optional Garnishes (1 tablespoons per garnish)~
sliced green onions
grated cheddar cheese
Greek yogurt, plain
flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the dried chiles and toast until darkened in color, about 1 minute, then flip and toast the opposite side. Remove from skillet, remove stems, and shake out seeds.
2. Place the chiles in a small bowl with 1 cup boiling water. Place a small plate or utensil on top of chlies to keep them submerged. Let soak for 20 minutes, until softened. Transfer chiles and water to blender and blend until smooth.
3. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and stir breaking meat up into small clumps. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Add onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook for 10 minutes. Next add the garlic. Cook for another minute, until softened and aromatic. The add chili powder, cumin and coriander. Stir to blend well.
5. Next add the tomatoes, green chiles,chicken broth, bay leaves and chile puree and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until thickened. Add the beans and cook an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot. Add garnishes. Eat mindfully.
Serves 8. Serving size: 1¼ cup. Calories: 264.
|Oprah's recipes include Weight Watchers' SmartPoints|
To complete the meal add cornbread. Calories per serving: 110. Total calories for the meal: 374.
Want an easy way to serve up your chili in right sized servings? Try the chic LivSpoon®.