|Kid-Friendly and Healthy--Yummy Banana Bread Muffins|
I recently did a "recipe make-over" for my favorite Banana Bread Muffin recipe, adjusting the ingredients to make it healthier and more kid-friendly. My goal was to use less oil and sugar and add flavors kids like. I did this by substituting apple sauce for the oil and Truvia Baking Blend for the refined sugar. In addition I took out the sage and put in vanilla. It was a hit!
These Yummy Banana Bread Muffins are filling and satisfying for kids because of the whole wheat flour, fresh banana, apple sauce and plain Greek yogurt used. And by using far less sugar they do not trigger the need for more sugary sweets as so many pre-packaged treats do. These muffins are great on their own or included as part of a meal. Here is the recipe:
Yummy Banana Bread Muffins
1 cup flour, unbleached
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
½ cup Truvia Baking Sugar Blend
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt, coarse Kosher
2 eggs, large
1 ½ cup banana, ripe and mashed (3 large)
⅓ cup Greek yogurt, low fat and plain
¼ cup apple sauce, unsweetened and organic
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
2. In a separate bowl beat eggs with a whisk. Next add mashed banana, yogurt, apple sauce and vanilla, stirring with the whisk.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until moist.
4. Spoon batter into muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray. Fill ⅔rds full.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in the center.
6. Let muffins sit in tin for 10 minutes. Promptly remove muffins and serve. These muffins keep well for a few days in the refrigerator or weeks in the freezer.
Serves: 12. Serving size: 1 muffin. Calories per serving: 128.